Claremont McKenna College

Musings on a Caltrain, by Keerthana Nunna

Soon after accepting my internship I started looking for a place in the city. After weeks of searching and getting nowhere, I gave up and decided to live in the college provided apartments 1.5 hours from work. I rationalized my decision by saying that it was cheaper, a nicer place to live, and it would be more fun to live with friends. But in all honesty, my decision was founded on pure laziness.

As far as poorly reasoned choices go, this one turned out to be great. It’s definitely worth the extra couple hours on a train to be able to come home to friends after a long day at work, and all the other reasons already stated turned out to be true as well. And the commute isn’t as harrowing as I originally expected, instead I have come to love it. I spend an hour on a train and then thirty minutes walking (or if I’m feeling lazy I can take the muni). Sometimes I even take the longer train if it means getting a more secluded seat.

Walking in the city is nice. There are all the obvious benefits of walking: exercise, sun, and fresh air. I don’t like the outdoors, so walking in the city is a nice way to get these benefits while still not really being outdoors. But the train is actually my favorite part. I spend all day at work surrounded by colleagues, and then I come home to an apartment full of roommates. I spend all day Saturday in class with professors and fellow students, and many Sundays are also spent doing group activities. I never really get the chance to be alone, which is how taking a break from society on the train has come to be the favorite part of my day. For two hours a day I get to just sit there. And I don’t have to feel bad about not doing anything, because technically I am – I’m commuting. I’m getting from point A to point B; I’m doing exactly what I’m supposed to be doing.

I get to just sit and stare out the window and think. I love that hour. Many a post has been written in that hour. It’s also nice having a break between work and coming home. It’s like a transition period. Sometimes I listen to music or read or do homework. But mostly I sit and stare and think.

Keerthana Nunna
Claremont McKenna
Class of 2015

This entry was posted in SVP Living. Bookmark the permalink.