Claremont McKenna College

The Best 4 Years of Your Life, by Bailey Masullo

As a college student, I’m constantly hearing how I should enjoy the best four years of my life, take advantage of it while I can, and how you’ll wish you could go back to college. I can see where they’re all coming from, the Claremont Colleges are amazing. Creating a schedule where you don’t have class until the afternoon, constantly surrounded by friends, and the ability to always be learning something new each day. It’s not a bad life, but “real” life isn’t as bad as you might think, as long as you’re at the right company.

I’m thankful to be one of the five interns at Atlassian this semester where I’m joining quite a few Claremont alumni. Atlassian really knows what it’s doing, from the products they are designing to it’s company culture. The technology industry is changing and expanding every day giving me the chance to constantly be learning something new and exciting. Atlassian also understands that people work differently, and allows flexible hours which is perfect for someone still in college and not used to those early mornings quite yet. I could go on and on about the perks at this tech company, but that’s not really why I love it. It’s the culture and the people here. Everyone is incredibly friendly, inspiring, and really works as a team. I’ve worked at other companies in the past, and none of them incorporate the values like the employees here. If you think about it, work takes up a large majority of your life, so you better enjoy it.

This program allowed me to see what the real world is really like. Because I’m here during the spring, I’m treated like an employee, not a summer intern. This is just one of the many valuable experiences I’ve had on this program. Similar to many Claremont students, I wanted to go into consulting after college, but now I’m in love with the tech industry. It’s so different than I expected, and I’m happy to learn that I don’t need to be a computer science major to work in tech. Overall, this program has completely changed my career path and has taught me things I could’ve never learned back in Claremont. I’m incredibly thankful for this program and would encourage anyone mildly interested in tech to check it out. It’s more fun than you think!

Bailey Masullo
Intern, Atlassian
B.A. Mathematics and Economics
Pitzer College
Class of 2015

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.